To help you make a more informed choice when choosing the best whey protein for weight gain, we did some research on our side.
Below, we share a selection of the best options that you will currently find on the market.
Take a closer look at each supplement we share – consider your budget and the amount of protein you need – this will make it much easier for you to find the right whey protein powder.
Table of contents:
- Top Whey Protein Powder Supplements
- 1. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder
- 2. Pure Label Nutrition Grass-Fed Whey Protein
- 3. NAKED Nutrition NAKED Whey 1LB 100% Grass-Fed Unflavored Whey Protein Powder
- 4. NOW Sports Nutrition Whey Protein Isolate
- 5. Dymatize ISO100 Hydrolyzed Protein Powder
- 6. BulkSupplements CLEAN Whey Protein Powder Isolate
- Buyers Guide
- The Role Of Protein In Muscle Growth And Weight Gain
- Choosing The Best Whey Protein For Weight Gain
- Other Ways To Boost Your Protein Intake
Top Whey Protein Powder Supplements
Below is our shortlist of the top brands for weight gain. We’ve found the best price for you, and, if you want to read our review check details for each supplement under the list…
1. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder
The Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder is our number one selection.
This product comes in a two-pound container by default, but the manufacturer does give you the option to select larger containers if you wish to buy in bulk. The container sizes range from two pounds up to a 10-pound bottle.
The pricing of the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder is a little more expensive than some alternative options you will find.
At the same time, do consider the trusted record the brand has built with existing customers and the quality of its products.
The product is available in an unflavoured variety, which is great when buying a whey protein powder in bulk. This gives you an opportunity to create your own flavored shakes – when buying a flavor in bulk, you can quickly find the constant taste of the same flavor to become boring.
There are, of course, a few different flavor varieties that you can still choose – including birthday cake, cake donut, gingerbread, peppermint mocha, salted caramel, and more.
The Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder gives you up to four grams of carbohydrates per serving.
There is a 24-gram dose of protein in each certain, which consists of whey peptides, whey protein concentrate, and whey protein isolate. Additionally, the supplement also gives you a high dose of BCAAs.
2. Pure Label Nutrition Grass-Fed Whey Protein
The Pure Label Nutrition Grass-Fed Whey Protein is another excellent option if you want a high-quality product to add to your workouts.
This is also not one of the cheaper options on the market, considering a price tag of almost $30 for a two-pound container. The quality, however, is superior to many alternatives on the market.
You can also choose a five-pound container if you wish to buy your whey protein powder in bulk.
You can choose an unflavoured option when buying the Pure Label Nutrition Grass Fed Whey Protein if you wish to experiment with your own flavors.
Alternatively, the product does come in both a vanilla and a chocolate flavor.
The product is made from 100% grass-fed cows. This means the quality and purity of the whey protein powder surpasses that of many alternative options that you can choose from.
Another major advantage is the fact that the product only contains one single ingredient – and that is whey protein concentrate.
A single serving of the Pure Label Nutrition Grass Fed Whey Protein supplement gives you a 24-gram dose of protein.
The product is also rich in amino acids, which are essentially the building blocks of proteins, further enhancing the benefits that the supplement is able to offer your mission of increasing lean muscle mass.
3. NAKED Nutrition NAKED Whey 1LB 100% Grass-Fed Unflavored Whey Protein Powder
Next on our list is the NAKED Nutrition NAKED Whey 1LB 100% Grass-Fed Unflavored Whey Protein Powder.
This particular product is produced locally within the United States, and only the best farms are sourced to ensure the supplement is produced from 100% grass-fed cows.
There is only one single ingredient in the supplement – making it one of the purest options that you are going to find today.
Each bottle of this product contains a total of 15 servings, should you decide to opt for the one-pound container.
An alternative five-pound container is available as well, allowing you to save when buying in bulk. The unflavoured option is great when you are going to add the whey protein powder to shakes. You can, however, choose between four flavored options too – these include vanilla, matcha, chocolate, and strawberry.
The NAKED Nutrition NAKED Whey 1LB 100% Grass-Fed Unflavored Whey Protein Powder has no soy products and is also a gluten-free supplement.
This product is also rated as non-GMO and contains no fillers or preservatives.
4. NOW Sports Nutrition Whey Protein Isolate
The NOW Sports Nutrition Whey Protein Isolate focuses on giving you access to a top-quality supplement without breaking the bank.
You can grab a five-pound container of this whey protein powder for less than $50. The product comes in an unflavoured option, giving you more freedom when you create your own homemade mass gainer shakes.
Each dose of the NOW Sports Nutrition Whey Protein Isolate gives you a 25-gram dose of protein.
This is quite a potent dose that lets you experience the full benefits of protein powder.
The product also uses a whey protein isolate, which offers a higher concentration of protein – particularly when compared to a supplement that rather uses a protein concentrate.
In addition to the protein content, the NOW Sports Nutrition Whey Protein Isolate also offers a high dose of Branched-Chain Amino Acids.
The product is free of dairy and contains no added artificial sweeteners. There are no steroids, soy, or other synthetic ingredients used in this whey protein powder. Additionally, this product is certified to be keto-friendly.
5. Dymatize ISO100 Hydrolyzed Protein Powder
Our next recommendation is the Dymatize ISO100 Hydrolyzed Protein Powder. This might not be the cheapest option on our list, but it surely gives you a high dose of protein, along with the amino acids your body needs to make the most out of every weight lifting session.
The Dymatize ISO100 Hydrolyzed Protein Powder comes in three different size options. This includes a 1.6-pound container, as well as two larger options – a three-pound and a five-pound bottle.
The product provides a hydrolized type of protein powder, which delivers a more effective dose of protein into your body.
The process used to produce the protein powder is able to deliver improved bioavailability for the protein content in the supplement.
A single serving of the Dymatize ISO100 Hydrolyzed Protein Powder gives you 25 grams of protein. This is higher than many competitor protein powders, but not too much – delivering a potent dose without causing damage to your internal organs.
Each serving of this whey protein powder also delivers a 5.5-gram dose of Branched-Chain Amino Acids, as well as 2.7 grams of additional leucine.
The reduced sugar and fat content make this a healthier choice when trying to bulk up. Each serving provides up to 120 calories – allowing you to experiment with your own smoothie and shake recipes.
6. BulkSupplements CLEAN Whey Protein Powder Isolate
The last option on our list of the best way protein for weight gain is the Bulk Supplements CLEAN Whey Protein Powder Isolate.
As the name of the product suggests, this supplement gives you access to whey protein isolate, a more potent variety of protein. The protein rating of the supplement is 90%.
The product also uses as few ingredients as possible to deliver a pure whey protein powder that you can use in juices, shakes, and other liquids.
The powder was developed in such a way that it will easily dissolve in any liquid.
You can add it to a regular pre-workout drink to add more protein, or simply mix it with some water if you prefer.
In addition to the high dose of protein, the BulkSupplements CLEAN Whey Protein Powder Isolate product is also rich in Branched-Chain Amino Acids. This makes the product exceptionally useful when it comes to enhancing muscle growth during intense strength training sessions.
We shared some amazing brands and types of whey protein in the list above but it’s also important to understand what you are buying and the role protein plays when it comes to muscle growth. Continue reading for a complete buyers guide…
When weight gain in the form of lean muscle mass is your goal, then you need to realize one thing – protein is your best bet during this type of journey.
Regardless of the advice you are looking at; you will notice that protein is most often the most recommended nutrient or supplement for anyone who wants to gain weight.
While it is relatively easy to determine that protein is a critical factor for anyone who wants to gain weight, you might find the process of identifying the best whey protein for weight gain quite a challenge.
A quick search on any marketplace or even a visit to your local supplement shop gives you a significant variety of whey protein products that you need to filter through and choose from.
We’ll take a closer look at what you need to look at when searching for the best whey protein that will help you gain weight. We will also share our selection of the top products that you can buy and take advantage of right now.
The Role Of Protein In Muscle Growth And Weight Gain
Protein is part of the micronutrients that your body needs to function properly. This particular micronutrient plays an important role alongside both carbohydrates and fats.
The most popular association when it comes to protein is with muscles. This is an accurate association to make, as protein does play a big role in allowing muscle tissue to grow and even recover following intense training. This, however, is not the only function that this micronutrient plays in your own body.
Proteins are considered complex molecules. The majority of the functions that are performed in every single cell found in your body are regulated by proteins. Additionally, proteins also help with the structure of a cell. Tissues and organs in your body depend on proteins to function normally.
You should note that proteins have different functions in the body. The main functions performed by proteins include:
- Antibody activity to help protect your body against bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens.
- To act as messengers, which help hormones communicate with cells and to process signals that are transmitted between various cells in your body.
- As a structural component, proteins help the body move and ensure tissue can maintain its appropriate structure.
- As a storage unit, proteins allow atoms and smaller molecules in your body to be stored and even transported to other areas of our body.
- Some proteins act as enzymes, which are critical to the chemical reactions that occur in cells.
While protein is critical when it comes to muscle growth, as well as weight gain – there is one thing that you do need to take note of. Too much protein can be a disadvantage. You need to find the right balance.
When the amount of protein you consume exceeds a 30% value of your daily calories, then this micronutrient may actually become harmful to your body.
One report explains that an excessive amount of protein may put excess stress on various systems in the human body. Furthermore, consuming too much protein can also lead to the accumulation of ketones in the kidneys – and this can damage the body’s two filters (the kidneys).
With this in mind, it can still be difficult to give your body enough protein on a daily basis to support your strength in the gym, while also allowing muscle tissue to regenerate faster and more effectively. This is why many people decide to opt for a supplement that will give them access to more protein.
Choosing The Best Whey Protein For Weight Gain
Whey protein powder continues to be one of the most popular supplements used by people who want to gain weight – particularly those who wish to gain more muscle mass.
This has led many companies to produce their own protein powder. Sure, this might mean a larger variety of products for you to choose from – but when the ingredient list and claims become too similar, you will quickly find yourself confused with which product to choose.
There are some effective and high-quality whey protein powder products on the market. At the same time, however, some of these products may end up being a complete waste of your money.
With knowledge about specific factors to look at when you decide to buy a whey protein powder, you can ensure the product you buy will be safe, effective, and give you more value for your money.
We share a couple of the most important things you should look at when filtering through whey protein powder products below:
- Ingredient List: Start your filtering process by looking at the ingredient lists of the whey protein powder. The shorter the list of ingredients, the better. Those products that have a significant number of ingredients in the powder tend to use a lot of fillers. This is something you want to avoid, as the protein powder will not be as pure or effective.
- Protein Dose: Make sure each serving of the protein powder you want to buy can give you an adequate dose of this micronutrient. It is generally advised to opt for a whey protein powder that delivers more than 20 grams of protein per serving. You should, however, also ensure the product does not contain too much protein, as this could be damaging to your body.
- Whey Protein Type: You also need to consider the type of whey protein that you are going to buy. There are two main categories in which a whey protein supplement can fall. These generally include isolates and concentrates. You should consider opting for an isolate for a more potent product. A whey protein isolate powder will contain 90% or higher protein content in the supplement.
- Flavor: While choosing a flavor can be useful, many of the flavored varieties of whey protein powder will contain added sugars. Consider opting for an unflavoured option instead. You can then experiment with your own flavoring agents. Consider adding some cocoa powder for a cholate taste. You can also experiment with vanilla extract or another flavoring agent that is not loaded with sugar.
- Artificial Ingredients: Always try to get your hands on a whey protein powder that does not contain any type of artificial ingredients. Many companies tend to add certain artificial ingredients to these supplements. These artificial ingredients often include the use of sweeteners, with the goal of adding a more pleasant taste to the product. Avoid products that contain ingredients like dextrins, maltodextrins, sucrose, sugar alcohols, or other types of sweeteners.
- Price: Whey protein powder supplements are generally not too expensive. They tend to be more affordable than some of the alternative muscle building supplements that you get to choose from – such as mass gainers. Thus, you should always make sure you are not paying more than you should. Look at some of the best options on the market and compare their prices, while also taking into account the number of servings contained in each container. This will help you determine which product can give you better value for the money you will be spending.
Other Ways To Boost Your Protein Intake
Now that we have looked at some of the most effective supplements you can buy when trying to increase your intake of protein; we should also note that you can boost your protein intake through your diet as well. There are many foods that can be included in your daily diet to give you a higher dose of protein.
You should consider creating a good balance between food and supplements. Try to get some protein from your daily meals. The protein that you may still lack from your diet can then be fulfilled with the use of a whey protein powder product.
Try to add some of these foods to your daily diet to give you a boost in protein:
- Boiled eggs
- Peanut butter
- Greek yogurt
- Cottage cheese
- Pumpkin seeds
- Chia seeds
- Flex seeds
- Bulgur wheat
- Beef jerky
- Lean beef
The list contains quite a few examples – be sure to add a combination of these foods to your daily meals. Some of them can also be used as snacks – consider packing some almonds in a bag and snack on them during the day.
Protein makes up one of the most important nutrients when it comes to a skinny guy trying to gain muscle mass. With this in mind, the easiest solution is usually to opt for a whey protein powder supplement. While this might seem like the simplest option, there is a large variety of protein supplements available today, making it hard for the average guy to know which product will be a good investment.
If you are unsure which protein supplement is right for you, consider the tips we shared in this post. This will help you determine what factors to look at while browsing the various whey protein powders that are available at the moment. Also, consider the top-rated protein powder supplements we shared – these have all been proven to yield effective results among bodybuilders, athletes, and even regular skinny guys who would just like to bulk up a bit.